Tuesday, July 31, 2007

For Whom the Bell Tolls

I like morning labs. I don't like the getting up at 6AM to get there for 7AM, but I like having most of the afternoon off. Today was such a gorgeous day. After lab I went to the cafe to grab lunch and took it outside to enjoy the nice weather while I ate. The Quinnipiac campus is right next to Sleeping Giant State Park, named for the series of big hills/small mountains that look like, well, you get the picture. Apparently the best view of the mountains is from the QU quad. So that was where I had my lunch and it was breathtaking, peaceful, and yummy. I am hoping to take a digi cam to campus so I can take pictures to post so alla y'all can see where I spend all my waking hours.

Like most college campuses, Quinnipiac has a clock tower atop the library. It's also a nice sight, but I still think I favor the Miller Library tower over it. However, the QU tower is more talented. In addition to chimes that sound off on the hour, this tower all plays a selection of chimed songs. I am not sure what the desired effect of these songs is supposed to be, cuz really, I just think they're funny. Up until today I had only heard it play selections from The Sound of Music. I guess it is appropriate next to the backdrop of the mountains, but the first time I heard it, I have to admit I stopped dead in my tracks and said, "Is that...Edelweiss?!” But today, the tower branched out its repertoire to include some Beatles favorites including "Here Comes the Sun." It was just wrong and weird. There are some songs that should not be converted into chime music. Just like it is wrong to hear certain songs in muzak. If I ever hear it playing "My Humps" I think I might have to write to the Dean of Students.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

Not all songs are meant for all medium. Like songs that should not be played on the Banjo!