Sunday, July 8, 2007

Fluff

I was recently introduced to the wonderful world of Fuffernutter sandwiches. I never had one growing up, but don't really remember ever having the interest to do so. My best friend Diane would eat them all the time. I remember being slightly curious about the mysterious white gooey spread, but not enough to try it on my sandwich. Diane and I did share a liking of Frosted Flakes, and I remember one breakfast at her house before school where she made me laugh so hard that I spat my flakes all over the table.

I was always a PB&J girl. White bread, welch's grade jelly and creamy peanut butter. Later on I would branch out to raspberry jam and crunchy peanut butter. I will even eat it on wheat bread. Shocking, I know. When I went away to Ecuador for a month during my junior year at Colby, we ate a lot of rice and beans. I mean, a LOT of rice and beans. And trout. There was a lot of trout. And this weird starchy root vegetable that if you mashed it and added 865 lbs of butter, it almost kinda slightly reminded you of mashed potatoes. But a lot of time it was just served to us boiled. A big boiled root served over, yep, you guessed it, rice and beans. Naturally by the end of the trip, we were all having major cravings for our favorite foods from back home. Some people were craving pizza, others steak and potatoes. French fries were also popular. Not me. Nope, given a choice of ANY dish in the whole entire world, all I wanted was a peanut butter & jelly sandwich with a BIG glass of milk. Which my awesome mom greeted me with at Logan Airport when we arrived back home.

So although I will always love a good PB& J, I have to admit, Fluffernutters rock.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Julie,

Thank you for the laugh this morning! I am picturing the Frosted Flake incident. And how in the world did your best friend let you go through your childhood without Fluff!!!!!! I am so sorry I let you down like that. :-)

And by the way I would choose you as my nurse in a heartbeat. Can you go work at Beverly Hospital by the time I have my next child??

Miss you.

Love, Diane

Joan said...

Hi Julie,

I hear that you have gone over to the "White Fluff" side of the sandwich.

I am glad that you have discovered that sticky white stuff! Mr. Welch might not be as happy to hear it.

I had a good laugh reading your comments.

Love Mom