Thursday, November 15, 2007

Most Evil of Exams

Today we had an exam in Pedi. It was pure evilness embodied in a 60-question multiple choice exam. For example, during class we discussed the hematologic disorder Thalessemia, and were taught five appropriate nursing interventions when caring for a patient with this disorder. Then the instructor would go on to say, "The ABSOLUTE PRIORITY nursing intervention for the patient is 'X'".

Then today when taking the exam, I get to question #16 which states: "You are caring for a patient with thalessemia. The PRIORITY nursing inventions is..." And I thought to myself, "YES!!! I KNow this one!!!" But no. Ohhh NOooo. The four possible answers DO NOT include X. So then you curse at the teacher under your breath begin muddling through the less critical interventions and decide which is more important, when really, they ALL are important. Grrrr Arghhh. Why? Why do they do that to us?!

We were allowed the usual 1 hour and 15 minutes to take the exam. I am usually done with an exam within 1 hour and that is AFTER going back to slowly and carefully tackle the questions that I skipped cuz I wanted more time on them AND having reviewed the entire exam to make sure I filled in all the correct answers on the Scantron Sheet. I was still working on the skipped questions at 1 hour and 17 minutes. (Along with half the class).

I got out and met my classmates. Half looked like they had been hit by a bus. The other half looked like they had seen a ghost. Personnally I felt like I had been hit by a bus being driven BY a ghost. Then I ate a chocolate frosted donut.

1 comment:

Lou said...

Mmmmm . . . donuts.