Saturday, November 3, 2007

Credit where credit is due

So that "piece of crap" pedi paper I had been talking about? Well it turns out that my group got a 99 on it. And it was, according to our professor, "One of the best written papers I have read in the last six years." She absolutely loved it. Like, a lot.

This was, of course, really nice to hear. I was happy cuz she had written "EXCELLENT!" on most of the sections I had written. Considering we threw it together in one evening, not bad at all.

What I have learned from this experience it is apparently I know how to write papers. I guess I am surprised only because I didn't have to do a lot of them at Colby with my Bio & Theater majors. There were mostly exams (Bio) and performances. So I credit my paper writing skills to my seven years at CRA. I did a lot of writing, ranging from corportate memos, policy & procedure manuals, and proposal writing/editing. I also must give kudos to my roommate Leora who, the night before the paper was due, came downstairs to say hello to the kitties at midnight, and I made her review the paper. She had keen eyes and lots of great suggestsion, and gently pointed out that I had, in one sentence, used the phrase "in terms of" THREE TIMES. One sentence.
Also kudos to jane who suffered SEVERAL times through my 8 page Integrity paper, catching many run-on sentences, spelling errors and such.

What I also find funny is the only place I lost points on my theory paper was from formatting errors. This is amusing to me because one of my main job functions at CRA was ENSURING that all our reports and proposals complied with designated formatting requirements. Apparently I am not as familiar with APA formatting requirements (for academia) than with Department of Defense requirements. :)

Okay, now off to conquer my theory presentation...

OH and I got a 90 on my pedi exam!!

No comments: