Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Mish Mash

Today was a very full day of classes. We started out in MedSurg discussing signs & symptoms and treatment options for Congestive Heart Failure. It was an interesting lecture because we get a lot of patients with CHF. As our teacher rattled off the many S&S, I could picture each one. Kinda like the images and tables and figures in the text book coming to life. I felt good about last night's clinical. I developed a good relationship with my patient, had a thorough understanding of his condition and knew exactly what I should have been looking for regarding signs of exacerbations/complications. Fortuneately he did not have any. I also got to do some solid patient teaching which I love to do. All and all a successful evening (except the fact that we got out late, after deciding that we would skip dinner so we could get out early). So we ended up staying until after 9PM and were all hungry and cranky. And then we all had to go home and write out theory reflection paper for this morning. That part was poopy.

Speaking of theory....and I know I complain a lot about it:). We have been discussing the big nursing theorists (you know, the ones who spend years on a subject and come up with a grand theory like "Caring is the essence of Nursing." Today we talked about the Theory of Human Becoming and even the teacher admitted parts of it were pretty far out there. Following is, no joke, an actual excerpt from one of her propositions: "Transforming emerges with the languaging of connecting-separating." If anyone has any ideas on what this might mean, please let me know. Otherwise, if it appears on our final exam, I am screwed:)

And then in Pedi class we discussed fun things like acne, contact dermititis, LICE, AND SCABIES. By the end of the lecture we were all so freaked out that we had bugs on us that we were all itching and scratching up a storm. The amazing power of the mind.

No comments: