Tuesday, October 2, 2007

I'm back!

Sorry, sorry, sorry! I took a little blog vacation while I was trying to settle into the fall schedule. Remember all that whining I did about how hard the summer was? Well, apparently I didn't realize how good we had it. This is TOUGH. I don't remember working this hard at Colby, but maybe cuz that I was younger and had more stamina. Also there wasn't a lot of studying for my theater Improv classes.

So what the heck have I been up to? Here is a week in the life of the Nursing Student:

Monday
8-10A MedSurg Lab. We are learning how to interpret EKGs which is pretty darn cool. We got to practice on ourselves, which was fun. Apparently my heart is doing just fine, electrically.

10A-2PM. Frantically try to complete the paperwork due at MedSurg Clinical

2-9P: MedSurg Clinical. At the Cardiac Unit of Hartford Hospital. So far only 1 of the 3 patients I have seen has been there with an actual heart problem.

Tuesday:
8-9:15A MedSurg Lecture. Learn wide range of topics ranging from Chakras to Burn Victims to Hospice Care to Cirrhosis. It is a pretty broad class. Oh, and there was more singing and dancing today.
9:30-10:45A: Pediatrics Lecture. Take home message here is that where adults have more cardiac related emergencies, kids have respiratory emergencies. Oh, and regardless of what illness they have/what the affected body system is - vomiting will be a symptom. Oh, and never tell I sick child that you are going to "take" his temperature. He will think you are actually taking it away from him.

10:45-11A: Frantically run to the cafeteria and purchase lousy premade sandwich to eat during the 15 minute lunch break during theory class. If you wait until aforementioned break, the lines at the cafe are WAY too long.

11A-1:45P. Theory Class. AKA Bane of My Existence.

2-3:15P: Behavorial Health AKA Psych Nursing AKA BEST CLASS EVER. The professor is one of the best I have ever had, and the material is fascinating.

Wednesday:
7A-2P: Psych Clincial. Usually fun, never dull. Often includes coloring, pictionary and/or wheel of fortune. Playing pictionary with the mentally ill brings the game to a whole new level.

Thursday:
Same as Tuesday, minus Theory. The 11-2 slot is filled with lunch, followed by studying. Or napping. Sometimes the napping is disguised as studying. Other times the napping is out in the open.

Friday:
8-10A: Pediatrics Lab. Very cool instructor who told us she wouldn't speak to us again if we ever called her "Professor"
10A-2PM. Frantically try to complete the paperwork due at Pediatrics Clinical
2-10P: Pediatrics Clinical. Bridgeport Hospital. Very cool floor - complete with a well executed circus theme throughout. I am actually really enjoying my peds rotation which was a nice surprise.

Evenings when not at clincial are spend reading/studying. Weekends spent sleeping, cleaning and watching TiVo'd shows from the week. Oh and actually spending time with Jane when we are both awake.

So right now I am procrastinating studying for our first Pedi Exam on Thursday. It is an overwhelming amount of information and I am a little intimidated by it. The teacher actually told us she felt sorry for us. Nice, right! But I got a 94 on my Psych Exam and a 92 on my Med Surg Exam, so that's happiness!!

Okay, I can't avoid Pedi for any longer. But I will try to be better about keeping up with my blog. Fleen - i don't know how you do it. You are in inspiration!!

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Welcome back!
And did you see today's post? This comment is longer than that post. Also, my kids now have syrup in their hair. And they are probably also vomiting. Because that's just what kids do. (True - Nick pukes even when he has a COLD. As in runny nose = vomit.)
Good Grades!

Joan said...

Hi My Jules,

How are you, besides exhausted? Great job on your exams! Wonderful grades. I know that you can do it!
I am glad that you like the pedi ward.

It sounds like you need a massage to relax you??? Go cash in your gift certificate.

Love Mom

Jules said...

I am waiting until this round of exams/paper is done...THEN I am TOTALLY getting a massage!!! (Which I am VERy much looking forward to!)