Thursday, December 6, 2007

Last Day of classes! Woot!

Yes, today was the last day of classes for the semester. Yay and more yay! Now it is time to prepare for finals which will be a bear. Four exams in four days. Yuck. But because I am a dork, I have figured out what I need to get on each exam in order to get at least an A- in all the classes which is what I am shooting for. We will see how it goes. We have two exams on Monday (pedi & theory), one exam on Tuesday (medsurg) and then the last exam on Thursday (psych). I don't expect to sleep much until next week. But then I will be free to START my holiday shopping, and then relax until dec 27th which is the orientation for my internship.

On Wednesday I had to get a physical done by the hospital. Although it was not a typical physical that one would get at the doctor's office. They did some normal stuff like pulse and BP, but they also did a lot of vision tests (including that color blind test where you have to read the numbers hidden in the red & green circles.) I found it funny that with all the medical technological advances over the last few decades - they were still using a book from 1974 for the color test.

The scariest part was getting fitted for a TB mask. First they put this giant yellow hood over your head and spray some sort of aerosal into it. You then have to stick out your tongue to see if you can taste the substance (which you should be able to). Then they give you the TB mask and mold it to your face. Then they put the giant yellow hood over you again and spray the stuff to make sure you CAN'T taste it. And you have to move your head up and down and side to side while saying the alphabet to make sure that it is air tight. It was all very strange.

OH - and they do mandatory drug testing...and they are totally serious about it. Before you go, they dump this blue dye into the toilet so they will know if you try to sneak some of the toilet water in as your sample. And then when you are done "collecting your sample" YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO WASH YOUR HANDS until after they have sealed the collection bottles and put labels on them. And you are not supposed to let the samples out of your sight (supposedly to make sure the nurse is not tampering with them and adding anything to them that would make it positive for drugs). Again, very strange.

Regarding the eye picture. No worries - I have not gone off the deep end. This was not my creation. It was posted on cuteoverload.com and I thought it was funny. So no, I have not been spending my free time making weird food art:)

No comments: