Thursday, December 27, 2007

Firsts

Today was the first day I earned money in the nursing field! We began our two-day orientation at The Hospital of Central Connecticut. Everyone was very nice and very welcoming, and I now have yet another item with the HCC logo on it (a FABULOUS new canvas tote bag with lots of useful pockets and places to hold your water bottles. And it is a nice high-quality bag, unlike the crappy bag we were required to get from Quinnipiac that ripped during the first semster using it. I now have an HCC travel mug, pajama shorts, baseball hat and fun tote bag). Both today and tomorrow are orientation days, meaning we are in the classroom setting. We reviewed all the hospital policies, protocols and procedures, endured yet another lecture about the importance of HIPAA, discussed the importance of handwashing, and learned all about the many pieces of machinery that should be used when moving/lifting patients. Plus more lecturing on pressure ulcers, hospital gases, and oxygenation equipment. We ended the day with some fun vital sign skill validations. I am officially qualified to take your temperature:)

OH, and we watched a video on how to prevent surgeries being performed on the WRONG SITE. I guess it actually happens which is scary. But now there are like a hundred checks in place to make sure it doesn't. So, if you are ever having surgery, don't get frustrated with them when they confirm for the 86th time that you are having a total knee replacement on your LEFT and not your RIGHT knee. Tedious, yes, but far better than the alternative.
a
I can't wait to actually get to the floor, but that won't happen until the 30th. Poor Jane, I am working a 12-hour shift, 7a-7:30p on her birthday. But other than that, my schedule is pretty sweet. I have to work the day-shift (7-3:30) on New Year's Eve, but then I have the 1st and 2nd off. My friend Liz is working the night shift 11p-7a on New Year's Eve. :( I have most weekend days off, plus an additional day off during the week cuz I have a bunch of 12 hours shifts thrown in. But most of all I am excited to actually be receiving a paycheck!!! It has been awhile!

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

OK, this may sound completely materialistic and shallow... but doesn't a paycheck make a whole lot worthwhile? I mean, at first it's like happiness in paper form! Good luck on your first day on the floor - I'm sure you'll do great!